Friday, November 19, 2010

My New Mixer and Red Velvet Cupcakes!

So I finally got my hands on my Moms Kitchen Aide mixer! Its only taken me 5 years but I finally got it! (she's getting a new one) But what this means is that I'll be taking my baking to a whole another level!!! :)


The first thing that I decided to bake was Red Velvet Cupcakes... I had been craving them for weeks and wanted a really yummy one so I figured I better make it from scratch. I would consider myself a really great cook, but an even better baker. I've had a lot of women in my life that have taught me everything that I know over the years and I hope one day I can pass it on to others. 






Now heres the recipe!


Red Velvet Cupcakes:


Ingredients
3    eggs
3/4  cup  butter
3  cups  all-purpose flour
2  tsp.  unsweetened cocoa powder
2-1/4  cups  sugar
1-1/2  tsp.  vanilla
1 1oz. bottle  red food coloring (2 Tbsp.)
1-1/2  cups  buttermilk
1-1/2  tsp.  baking soda
1-1/2  tsp.  vinegar

Directions
1. Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 2-1/2-inch cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium sped after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. 

Frosting!
The frosting that I used was a very simple cream cheese frosting. 

8 oz of Cream Cheese (softened)
8 oz of butter (Softened)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tbs pure vanilla

In a mixer, mix cream cheese and butter together. Then slowly add the powdered sugar to the mix and lastly add the vanilla. 

ENJOY! 









2 comments:

  1. yum. i have never made those but have often thought about it. i am in search of a recipe for ones made with grated beets. red velvet is like carrot cake but with beets instead. the carrots give the cake a moist texture, it is the same for the beets............but i can't find a recipe for it!!!!
    i also got a mixer a couple of weeks ago too. i have been trying to make challah. it's going O.K.
    can't wait to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds amazing brad! I love it.
    i better get to try one!
    Suna bobby has made challah from a youtube video i will send you a link!

    ReplyDelete